Monday, November 11, 2013



"Beginnings are always messy." – John Galsworthy


Going from words floating around in my head to putting them out in the world is the greatest distance I can travel at times. In between the two points, I have to wander over a lot of rocky terrain fraught with stubbornness, fear, and self-doubt. I frequently get stuck in this familiar, stagnant, never beginning, frustrating and quite sucky mode because I am

w a i t i n g…

 Waiting for inspiration, for the sun to rise or set, for the babies to nap, for my food to digest, for the perfect time on the perfect day with the perfect light in the perfect chair, in the perfect space, in the most perfect moment.

"So many fail because they don't get started- they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin." -- W. Clement Stone


It is all total crap. All of these self-imposed requirements are put in place to roadblock my way to beginning-- to actually starting and putting momentum behind my dreams and aspirations. And I am completely responsible for putting all of these ridiculous contingencies on the doing, favoring just hanging out with the thinking. I am getting in my own way and it is all because beginning is the one thing that separates the known from the unknown.

"What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." -- T.S. Elliot 


Beginning does not require anything other than starting. It doesn’t require the perfect anything… no moment is going to rise up and push me into action. I don’t have to have just the right space, or time, or feeling. I just have to end staying in the familiar and begin roaming around in the unfamiliar.

"Who has begun has half done. Have the courage to be wise. Begin!" –HORACE, Epistles


I must get comfortable feeling the edge and tiptoeing over it. I hope to, at some point, always meet that edge with my head thrown back in sheer delight and a flying leap.


"A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct." - Frank Herbert, Dune


Writing is not just talent . . . It is practice and experience-- habit actually. I must create the habit of ALWAYS dumping my brain out. I constantly have words and thoughts, ideas and stories, camping out in my grey matter like squatters. Eviction notices must be given. These words do not hang out forever; they evaporate faster than I can even put pen to paper at times. When I act on it or even force it instead of waiting to be inspired, I realize quickly that the words do come. They are already there full and meaty waiting to be plucked and placed. These words form and take shape, exploding before me in a way that surprises me every single time I simply begin.

"The loftiest towers rise from the ground." - CHINESE PROVERB










1 comment:

  1. The TS Elliot quote is my favorite. Although I am surprised Mark Twain had nothing famous to say on this issue! When TSE says you have to end something before you can begin it seems to calrify many choices. Was one thing really over before starting another? In order to begin something new, something old must come to conclusion? it's really stuck with me and I appreciate the post!

    I've recently taken a dive deep into Eric Blair's work, paying attention to what was happening in his life compared what he wrote during that time. It's just a fascinating correlation; there are these huge world events happening during his short life (47 yrs) and his creation of equally large and important works of literature. I wonder if this is how it is for all writers?

    ReplyDelete

please make this an exchange of ideas... I appreciate interaction.